OK, here's my weird thought for the day:
I was at the grocery store this morning and saw a couple I know from our ward. I said hello and made some funny joke they laughed at then continued shopping. I passed the same couple like 3 more times during my shopping experience. So my question is am I supposed to say hi every time I pass them? Do you just politely smile after the first encounter? Do you avoid the isle they are on because you already said hello? or last do you just start going down the same isle as them and chatting the entire time you're in the store? Anyway, I think I said hi 2 more times and then when I saw them at the checkout, I just smiled and walked by quickly. What do you guys do? Anyone know any grocery store etiquette?
13 years ago


9 comments:
I usually say something like "Stop following me" or something. I think it is okay to smile and say hi each time. I think just plain ignoring them would be seen as rude.
I usually just smile or nod and continue shopping. I believe once you have made an acknowledgment they don't think you are rude. Just think they feel just as awkward as you.
I seem to follow what you did. I never though about grocery etiquette before...but it is always a little awkward when you see the same person again and again in the store and wonder if you are supposed to talk to them each time or just ignore them...so I always just keep saying hi again as I pass if I can't think of some witty comment.
Thats funny. We run into that alot. It does get very akward. I will admit that sometimes I will avoid going down the isle if I see that they are down there. But I think other than that we would just smile or something. Its even more difficult if you are just "aquaintances <--- not sure about spelling, instead of having a friendship becasuse you end up having that akward converstaion!! Well good luck for next time!
Most of the time I just avoid them from the beginning. Crouching down behind the produce seems to work nicely!
That is a hard one, I think it depends who it is in the ward...
If it was Jenna Anderson we would totally harass her and ask her where stuff is. If it is Melody Smith smile and wave each time.
I actually started to avoid Smiths because it was so specious with ward members that I didn't know what to say to. I also didn't want the bishops wife to only ever see me by Ice Cream....
so, this happened to me the other day. Initially i said hello, chatted about the weather or some other non threatenig converstaion starter, then further on in the trip i totally avoided her when we spotted eachother on aisle 4. But, i noticed she turned and went the other way too. It's just an akward situation all around. It would probably be different if it was a really good friend, not just an acquantance..blah blah blah,I'll shut up now
I avoid people I know like the plague at the grocery store just for this very reason - I never know how many times I'm expected to say hello or what to say after that first time. Glad to know I'm not the only one! :)
Post a Comment